Access Control for Serials link on Workorder screen

I’m trying to give access to the Serials link from the Workorder View to some users.

• Verified the screen they need to access: https://…/otd/order/…/serial_control

• Identified the role that will have access: QA Admin.

• Went through every single Access Control that had to do with Orders and allowed access for QA Admins.
    [otd/order/serials]
    [otd/order/serial_control]
    [otd/order/serial_label]
    [otd/order/serial_list]
    [otd:order/serial_control]
    [otd:order/serial_label]

• Did the Test User Access for the user and it says “User Can Access Function”

• Checked Config settings and there is nothing to do with Serials access.

• Verified both users have the role QA Admin assigned to them.

• Default Access Control To Permissive Config value is set to 1.

Hi @robinl, You’re definitely on the right track here.

One thing that is helpful, when thinking about Access Controls, is to consider them as more subtractive than additive. In this situation that means you would want to create a new role for this, and have it’s parent be a role that currently has access to the serials. Then, you would go in to the access controls and block that role from the areas that the parent role can access that this new role should not.

Let us know if you need any additional help with this!

Thanks… I’m following along up to the point where you say “you would go in to the access controls and block that role from the areas that the parent role can access that this new role should not”. Do you have a list of what access controls each of the standard parent roles have? I looked at User Roles & Restrictions but it doesn’t match up to the access control list.

Unfortunately we don’t have an exhaustive list of the default roles in the system, that link is about as close as it gets.

As far as the access controls, if “Enable Custom Access Control?” is No or if a role underneath is “(unset)” then it will be following the default behavior between that role and area of the system.