So we have always been fighting a speed issue since adopting Cetec as our ERP. Things have definitely gotten better over the last few years, but there are still major issues we still run into. The attached screenshot shows over 17 minutes in total wait times to enter an order. I understand that each order line contains a BOM and sometimes BOM’s and sub BOMs, but this can’t be acceptable for anyone putting orders in. Basically, we pay people to sit and twiddle their thumbs for 17 minutes while entering each order, because we have seen that you shouldn’t do anything else while that order is committing because it usually causes more issues. We changed most of the larger orders to a straight import because they took so long to enter by hand, but if the wait times are still large then I am not sure what else to do. Our orders are scheduled to become even larger than 50 lines (like this screenshotted order) The speed issues seem to compound with the size of the order. I’d really like some options to getting this speed issue fixed once and for all.
There are other issues related to speed with certain screens and reports but we have learned to deal with those.