Archiving Old Revisions on Cetec

Is there a way to archive inactive revisions that are uploaded to a part within Cetec? Currently those documents still remain accessible. Is there a way that can either be archived so they only show up for admin users? Or a way that they can be made non-downloadable ?
-20 Docs on Cetec

Hi Jordan,

Yes! If you go to the part record of the BOM in question and open “Revisions” from the left-hand Nav you should be taken to a list like this. On an inactive revision, there is a delete option at the far right of the line.

Hello,

What if we’d like to maintain the revision history for record? We wondered if there is a way to archive or inactivate documents so that you can still see the file (for revision record), but it cannot be downloaded.

Do you know how other companies handle old revisions? Do they typically delete them like you have suggested? Or do they simply have to instruct employees only to download what shows as active (which is the approach we have taken thus far).

Thanks,
Jordan

You could set it as obsolete, but even still the export will be available for download.
There isn’t currently a way to maintain the record of revisions without also maintaining the revisions in an inactive form.

There are certainly other companies using Cetec who maintain that revision history, I’d imagine they instruct users to not export inactive/obsolete documents. If this is a pervasive issue you could try to limit user access to the revisions page with access control/user roles.

Maybe I should clarify my intention, I am looking at revision control of a document that is uploaded to a specific PRT part (not revision control for an actual part). Is there a way for us to keep users from downloading the “not alive” version? Please see attached picture for reference. For example this drawing has a Rev–B and a Rev–C, is there a way for us to prevent users from downloading the inactive Rev–B drawing?

Hi Jordan,

This response got lost in my inbox I apologize. Unfortunately, if it is listed under the revisions you can set the inactive tags so the visibility of it being the incorrect document is there. But there isn’t a way to have the revision saved and also inacesible.

If training processes with employees to direct them to check if they are downloading the correct document doesn’t work, it would likely come down to using the user roles to block the unaware users from accessing the revisions list at all.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for the response. Do you know if there are any future plans to make it possible to not download old revisions? How do companies typically handle this now? Do they only keep the current revision on Cetec?

Thanks,
Jordan

Hi Jordan,

The current best practice, if you were going to maintain the revisions as a record, would be to set them as inactive and lock them. I believe then they would train employees to be aware of the additional records and to look for only the active listing.

I will represent this idea for potential development to the development team, however, to answer your question, we do not have current plans to make the revisions able to exist within Cetec ERP on the part record but be inaccesible.

Good morning,

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by “lock them”?

Thanks,
Jordan

On the revisions tab, there is a column labeled lock/unlock, this blocks you from making any changes to the revision such as setting the “Current Rev?” to yes. Meaning you can set the correct revision as current, then lock it and the other revisions, this ensures that if the team is trained to look at which revision is current they will be able to find it and are less likely to change it by mistake.

Thanks for the clarification. However you are referring to a revision for a part number. I am referring to a revision of a document attached to a part number. I assume there is not a way to lock old revisions of a document that is uploaded to a part number?

Thanks,
Jordan

I see what you mean, I was looking in the wrong spot with that last response. You’re correct, there isn’t a lock or current rev for the documents. I don’t think you can save multiple revisions of a document with the same functionality as the revision screen, it would just see it as subsequent documents. I think the best current way would be to add an inactive tag to the record to help delineate the documents.