MRP-Build not showing shortages

I created an order to sell 4 parts from stock that we do not currently have. We build these parts, and I would like the system to generate workorders if there is a shortage. However, when I run MRP-Build no data is displayed. (We are new to Cetec so this is the order in the system.) I have a labor plan made for the parts and I refreshed the MRP in Standard mode after I made the order. Is there a setting that needs changed to tell the MRP to make these parts when they are not in stock?

Thanks

@joev

Thanks for reaching out! I’m curious do you buy your finished parts from another vendor? From my understanding the process usually is to set up a stock order then set up an internal build order where you build your parts. The stock order wouldn’t drive MRP because you aren’t building anything yet. Or you can set up a build order where you build the parts then ship them in the same order and that would drive MRP. But right not it seems the system doesn’t know to buy parts because you are asking for your finished goods not the components.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Thanks,

Cetec ERP Support

Thanks for the reply. No we build our finished parts and put them into stock to be sold later.

Maybe my logic is still skewed towards how our previous ERP worked… My thought was that MRP would see that there are not enough finished parts in stock to fill the customer’s order and automatically make a workorder to fill that need. Is that not right?

@joev

Unfortunately that isn’t how MRP works in our system. You have to create the workorders manually. MRP just tells you when you have build orders that need parts and that you need to buy them. It doesn’t buy them automatically either. It’s basically to help you track what you need to buy for future work orders to be sure you have the parts you need.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks,

Cetec ERP Support

OK that makes sense. I guess that is why it is under the Purchasing tab. I can just plan the order it manually. I’ll just have to make a workflow to make sure orders don’t get missed.

Thanks for the help.

Joe, the MRP will work as you described in your first comment. You will need to make sure your BOM is set-up correctly and the Trans Code is selected correctly on the Sales Order. The MRP will then tell you which items need to be built.

Let me know if you have further questions and I can give you more details.